Saturday, May 8, 2010

Dive Report for Saturday 05/08/10

A rather drab and overcast day, weather-wise but the ocean conditions were pretty good with only a tiny bit of surf. It was one of those days when things just didn't seem to go right. My strobes, which worked perfectly on the pre-dive check, were incredibly frustrating while I was underwater. The right strobe failed totally and the left strobe only worked about a quarter of the time. Very gratifying, especially since it was too overcast to shoot with ambient light. Of course, when I got home they worked perfectly.

Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler
You can tell I might have had a bad day when my lead-off photo is this Iridescent Cardinalfish. Pretty drab but this is probably the best photo I have of one as I don't do much night diving. It was so overcast this morning that a lot of these were out.



Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler
This honu was very mellow and hung around me for a long time which favored my 1 out of 4 or 5 successful strobe ratio.





Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler


Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler
Even though green sea turtles are easy to come by, this girl was the high point of this morning's dive. The low light kind of worked well giving some extra contrast to the wide angle captures.



Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler

This Yellowmargin Moray was sticking straight out of a small wall near the shoreline. It was a little shy but I managed to get this one useable photo.

Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler
These two Longenose Butterflyfish were caught picking at the coral in unison.

Photo Copyright 2010 by Barry Fackler
This Threadfin Butterflyfish is still sporting its muted "night-time" color scheme with the white portions slightly dulled. Again, perhaps due to the darkness of the day.

I have a spare flash unit in storage that I put there because it wasn't working properly. I'm going to use it to replace my current right strobe and hopefully will get more flashes out of it.

Hopefully, next week I'll have more and better material to offer you!      Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment