Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tsunami Alert for the Hawaiian Islands

Before we went to bed last night we heard on the news about the huge Chilean earthquake. The newscasters stated that there was a possibility of a tsunami and to stay alert. This is something we hear about everytime there's a significant earthquake anywhere in the Pacific Basin. I went to sleep still planning to dive today as these things seldom actually materialize.

At 6 AM my alarm went off and I pushed the snooze button. As a laid there, I heard a weird noise that sounded kinda like a siren but not like the kind on an emergency vehicle. Then the phone rang. My brother was calling from Tucson to see if we were alright. My math skills suddenly returned and I was able to put 2 and 2 together!

All the local TV channels were covering evacuation activities and are continuing to do so as I type this. For anybody concerned about our immediate welfare - we're fine. We all live at around 1200' elevation and a tsunami cannot touch us. If the ocean ever comes this high, we will share our woes with the entire globe.

As far as non-immediate effects of the tsunami, it's too early to tell. We may lose power, water and communications for indeterminate amounts of time. We'll know in around a half an hour.

Don't worry about us. Personally, I've been through blizzards, hurricanes, nuclear meltdowns and earthquakes. We'll get through this OK. We just may be out if touch for awhile.  Aloha, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment